Saturday, December 03, 2005

Idiocy

I am simply amazed at the idiocy of major corporations and the fear advocacy groups inspire. Most recently, Ford Motor Company pulled gay-themed ads because of a proposed boycott of the American Family Group. I am so sick of corporations trembling in their proverbial boots because some group - please note that I use that term very lightly, thus the italics - threatens a boycott. I guess the major corporations do not realize just how many gays/lesbians exist in the world, and the number of friends and family they have. I can bet that the numbers are equal to the groups that initiate discriminatory action against the gay/lesbian community. BTW, it is not alleged discriminatory action, but blatant discriminatory action - at least in my opinion.

Now, what to do about these groups that deem themselves the moral savior of the Universe. It's really quite simple: do unto others as they would do unto you. The gay/lesbian community needs to boycott all business associated with the American Family Group or any other group attempting discriminatory action against the gay/lesbian community, whether those businesses are small companies or giant corporations. Boycotting is, after all, a two way street. What better way then to use that two way street to demonstrate the greatest privelege that exists: equality. If the American Family Corporation wishes to boycott, then the gay/lesbian community should boycott as well, and target the sponsors of these groups. It is a simple solution with a, hopefully, noticeable impact.

I, for one, intend to research the American Family Group and find out who sponsors them, what corporations donate money to the cause, and I will begin my boycott. I am only one person, but I have friends and family, and they have friends and so on and so on . . .

Have a great day!



January 6, 2006

Okay, I now apologize to Ford due to the following from the GLADD website:

December 14, 2005 - Today, Ford Motor Company reaffirmed its commitment to the LGBT community and market, putting to rest speculation that Ford had caved to demands by the anti-gay extremist group American Family Association

I also want to add that I am glad to note that Ford stepped up to the plate and did not bow to pressure from the American Family Association. Bravo to Ford, and to all corporations that stand up against ignorance.

Scott

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... it is fortunate that Ford Motor Company did not succumb to the pressure from the American Family Association (American Family? what a presumptious title - I take it that American Gay Families are 'filtered out') ... BUT the reason may not be the high moral ground but may very well be that with the business difficulties Ford is enduring today, it would be downright STUPIDITY to disenfranchise a large demographic group that has considerable discretinary spending power.