Monday, January 26, 2009

Happiness is . . .

. . . a journey, not a destination (see full text below) - Father Alfred D'Souza

For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin -- real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first,some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

The above has become my new motto in this life. The above are the words I see whenever I drink out of my coffee cup at home. The words, at least to me, make perfect sense. Everybody, again, at least to me, seems to be searching for happily ever after . . . as if it's a place (i.e., a destination). Well, as the above states, and that's only one man's opinion, happiness is not a destination, but rather a journey, rather . . . LIFE.

Happiness can be found in so many ways. I just wonder how many people overlook happiness. I'm happy with a cup of coffee in hand, sitting out on the patio, and watching the cardinals flock to the bird feeders and fountain in the backyard. I'm happy walking around the house admiring the beautiful day lilies in the late Spring. I'm happy curled up on the couch with a good book in my hand and a glass of wine on the coffee table next to me. Yet all my happys are not places, but moments. I did not have to get in the car - well, unless the trip to the wine store and book store count - to find happy. Happy was right there, all around me, all the time . . . I just could not see the happy.

Now, did the above quote just change my life in a moment of epiphany? No. Did it make me gaily - well, every thing I do is done gaily . . . I'm just saying . . . - dance down the street? No. The above text just sort of put things in perspective . . . for me. The above text might not have any meaning for any body else in the Universe. It does not matter. What matters is that the words had meaning for me.

So, I raise my coffee cup to you, the few readers of this blog, and use the words of that late 80s song . . . don't worry, be happy!

S

0 comments: