Monday, March 06, 2006

Freedom from Ignorance

I think I'm going to start a new organization called 'Freedom from Ignorance'. Why, dear readers, am I making this statement? Well, it all started in the aftermath of the Oscars last night and a simple statement. See below:

Others weren't surprised that the gay-themed films found mixed success at the Oscars.

"I think America sent a message to those in the industry that this isn't something that they're interested in, and hopefully this was something that weighed heavily on them as they voted for these pictures," said Alan Chambers, president of Orlando, Florida-based Exodus International, a Christian organization that promotes "freedom from homosexuality." (http://www.cnn.com – Entertainment – Mixed Oscar Results for Gay, Transgender Themes – 03/06/2006)

So, according to Alan Chambers, president of Orlando, Florida-based Exodus International, a Christian organization that promotes “freedom from homosexuality”, ‘Crash’ won the Oscar for best picture, not because it was an excellent/brilliant film, but because it did not have a gay/transgendered theme. Now, I’m sure Mr. Chambers would love to argue with me about that statement, but he doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning such an argument. He made a clear and simple statement about why ‘Brokeback Mountain”, ‘TransAmerica’ and ‘Capote’ did not win the Oscar for Best Picture. The inevitable conclusion to his comment are that ‘Crash’ only won because “America sent a message to those in the industry that this (meaning films with gay/transgender themes) isn’t something that they’re interested in”. In other words, and in my interpretation only, if the other films had not been of a gay/transgender theme, then ‘Crash’ probably would not have won.

I know, my logic is brilliance in motion. I suppose Mr. Chambers feels that his logic is brilliance in motion as well, i.e., freedom from homosexuality. I’d love to start an organization that promotes freedom from ignorance, but I truly do not think there is enough money in the world to fund such an organization.

I guess there is no end to illogical thinking on the part of people against homosexuality. I also guess there is no end to Mr. Chamber’s alleged ignorance either. I mean, awards did go to gay/transgender themed movies: Philip Seymour Hoffman won for ‘Capote’, Ang Lee won for Best Director, for ‘Brokeback Mountain’; that movie also won for Best Score and Best Adapted Screenplay. If, as Mr. Chambers’ states, “America sent a message”, then why was it not a complete message? Was there a breakdown in communication? Did somebody not get the memo? Or, as is the more likely event, is his statement totally without merit? Did ‘Crash’ win for the simple reason that it was an excellent film that deserved an award? I think that is the case, but that the allegedly deluded people in the world cannot accept such a basic truth and must, therefore, create their own truth.

In the end, the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender community made great strides this year by having so many gay/transgender themed films receive so many nominations. The door is open, Mr. Chambers, and there’s nothing you can do about it. We’re here, we’re queer, and we’re everywhere. We are not going away because you don’t like us. We are going to continue to make our presence known, day after day, year after year, into the next millennia and beyond. Get used to it. After all, I’m somewhat getting used to alleged ignorant people, if only for the fact that it creates activity for my brain cells and gives me something to write about. Ciao!

0 comments: